Skip to main content

Pandemic, Politics & Puppies - Month Seven in Malawi


Hi everyone! It's been a  wee while since our last update, quite frankly because things have been changing at such a pace that we have barely been able to understand what's going on ourselves, let alone explain it to others in blog form!

Coronavirus

You won't be surprised that a large part of this month has been spent grappling with the global pandemic that came totally out of left field and sent the whole world topsy-turvy. I had planned to just have a short paragraph on this, but there's just too much to share to get into a short section (I've tried writing this blog three different times this week, and by the next day everything I'd written had changed!), so please bear with a bit more chat about Covid-19…sorry!

Malawi was one of the last countries to confirm cases of coronavirus, in early April. The numbers suggest that the spread here is pretty slow, and largely just imported cases. At time of writing, there have been 17 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Malawi, though we expect the actual number is likely higher than that, as testing has been minimal, results have been delayed in being confirmed positive, and we struggle to believe that everyone showing symptoms is seeking testing.

Government Guidance

Guidance from the government on how to manage the virus has been…mixed. We've been really encouraged to see good hygiene practises being prioritised in lots of ways; any public buildings are required to have hand washing facilities at the entrance, and the government have been very clear on the message to regularly wash hands, catch your coughs/sneezes with a tissue or elbow, and stay at least 1m away from other people.

At the same time, the information about new measures being implemented from week to week have been unclear, contradictory at times, and just confusing. As we've been working closely with the church here, we have been focussed on what the guidance is for public or religious gatherings, in order to follow this guidance and protect our church members. Over the course of the last three weeks the guidance has swung from "no social gatherings over 100", "all social gatherings are banned", "religious meetings are cancelled", "religious meetings are not cancelled", "no gatherings over 10 people", "no gatherings over 5 people", "no gatherings over 5 people unless it's a religious gathering, then it's fine as long as it's under 50 people" and back again, seemingly every other day…and sometimes on the same day, depending on which government minister you get your information from. It's been very difficult to know what is trustworthy (as fake news spreads very fast here too) and how to make decisions or plans. It's been pretty exhausting!

Last week, the government announced that the country would go into a 21-day lockdown as of Saturday 18th April. Honestly, I was personally relieved to have a clear answer as to what to expect life to look like for a while. Even with this decisive action, lots was still unclear, like, for example, what movements were actually restricted during lockdown, and just exactly how to get permits to travel for essential means. Anyway, as we waited for a bit more clarity, but prepared ourselves for at least 3 weeks at home, we found out on Friday (the day before lockdown was due to begin) that a human rights group in Malawi was taking the government to court, for not consulting Parliament before implementing the lockdown, and that the court had ruled a 7 day stay on lockdown, so it could be discussed by all parties. So effectively, lockdown is paused for this week, and we await more news. Again, all very back and forth and confusing!



Healthcare

A difficulty the country faces, especially now, is the weak healthcare system. Alas, there is no NHS here. Healthcare has to be paid for, and when much of the country lives in poverty, healthcare is difficult to access. Other concerning news from the week are that there are only 20 ICU beds across the whole of Malawi, there is a significant shortage of nurses, and over this weekend, some public hospitals across the country have come to a standstill as medical workers strike, because of under-staffing, and the lack of PPE they are being provided with. Needless to say, that this is all heartbreaking, and concerning. It's also been reported that many nurses and healthcare professionals are not being allowed onto public transport, and are facing discrimination in their communities, out of fear that they will spread the virus onto people. Which is just so sad.

Politics & Poverty

Two other major issues here in Malawi, that are being accentuated at this time of national emergency are the political situation, and the widespread poverty that many people live in.

We have faced daily reminders that being in a position to undergo 'lockdown' is a privilege that many don't have. There have been widespread riots and protests since the lockdown was announced, as people declare "I would rather die of coronavirus than of hunger". And this is the reality that so many people are living in. For those who wake up each day and go out to seek casual labour for work, or who rely upon their market stall for their daily funds, in order to be able to eat that night, lockdown really does mean loss of livelihood, and therefore, hunger. We've yet to hear if there is a plan from the government to support people through this, should a lockdown happen. It is exceptionally hard to know what is best for the country, when lockdown brings so many issues, but coronavirus is also dangerous. Even in the case of a lockdown, the reality is that townships and market places are overcrowded, and that people have to leave their homes to access water and food each day.

The political situation is the country remains fairly turbulent. In February the courts declared that the election results of last year were voided, due to inconsistencies in the vote count. New elections were to be held within 150 days of this ruling. Since then, the ruling party, and the electoral commission have both gone to court to appeal the result, which has been a long process in itself, and now the coronavirus looks set to impact whether the new elections can happen. This has led to widespread suspicion of government guidance around lockdowns for example, as many feel it is a political move, in order for the president to remain in power a bit longer.

So, there are many complex issues playing out in the country, and it is all having an impact on how this emergency is being addressed. And it is very difficult to find any answers that meet or solve these problems. We are so used in the West to facing a problem and immediately doing something to fix it. We believe we can fix our own problems. I have lived my life with this perspective. Being here this last month has shaken that perspective. Initially, I was angry. Angry at the government, and angry at people, for not presenting clear methods of fixing the problem, or protecting people. The more time has gone on, the more I have seen that some problems just don't have answers. I'll be honest, I have felt angry at people this month for saying, "we have to trust God will protect us". As a Christian, I believe that God does protect us. But I was feeling anger at what seemed to me like foolishness. I wanted people to do something to protect themselves. Again, this is a privilege that I have grown up knowing. If I face a problem, either myself, or someone I know, or the leaders of my country, will probably be able to do something to help me out. It's hit me more and more as time has gone on, that sometimes we have to fall upon our trust in God, have to fall upon crying out to Him in prayer, because there is sometimes nothing we can do to fix, or solve, or prevent these huge problems. But we do know the one who can. So please, if you pray, please pray with me protection over Malawi. These problems are too big for me, for my church, for the government…but I believe they are not too big for God.  



Our Perspective

Right now, I just feel tired. At other times I have felt scared, then anxious, then angry, then sad, then alone, then hopeless, then like no-one understands, then numb. I am thankful that I have found a source of peace during times of worshipping my Father. But, honestly, it has been hard, and my mental health has been effected pretty significantly, as I'm sure we are all experiencing to some extent.

As with many other countries across Africa, there was a delay of about 3-4 weeks between the first cases in the UK and the first cases in Malawi. For us, this meant that we have felt the effects of having one foot in the UK and one foot in Malawi very keenly, as we switch in and out of two very different mindsets multiple times in any given day. It's all been very strange, and feels a lot like going through culture shock round two, as we try to live with both feet firmly in the country we are currently dwelling in, whilst, admittedly, sometimes feeling like it would be much easier to have both feet planted in the UK.

We've tried to use the extra time ahead of the virus reaching Malawi to prepare for how we can support the most vulnerable members of our church community, and thanks to a well-timed, unexpected financial gift, we've been able to provide food relief items for 11 of our most vulnerable families for a month. We delivered the last of them earlier in the week, just before lockdown was announced. We're thanking God for His provision in this area, and for his perfect timing, and praying for continued protection for everyone in our church, and across Malawi.

There have been a number of hard decisions that we've had to make in the last month, and the song 'Should I Stay or Should I Go' has never been stuck in my head so often! As the British government put out calls for UK residents currently abroad to come home, we had to make the decision of whether we had the capacity to stay here, knowing healthcare would be less easily accessible, that lockdowns were potentially on the horizon, and that commercial flights were almost certainly going to be suspended for an unknown amount of time. Trying to make such a difficult decision, with very little information to base our decision on, and with a lot of fear flying around was so hard. But for both of us, when we switched off our phones and sat in silence with God, felt a peace about staying that quite frankly shouldn't have made sense. We believe that God spoke to us about coming to Malawi this year, that He has not been caught unawares by the arrival of this pandemic, and that He will continue to be with us in this time, as He has been for the first six months here, and for the entirety of our lives. Since making the decision, the virus has arrived in Malawi, commercial flights have been suspended, lockdowns have been announced, and things are feeling pretty scary. I have to remind myself every day (sometimes it's more like every hour!) that I do not have to give in to fear. Sometimes that works, sometimes I feel the fear and it paralyses me. So again, if you pray, I'd so appreciate your prayers.

Before we flew here this verse was incredibly important to me:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

I have been encouraged by this verse again this last week, as I read through Joshua during my morning quiet times. In particular the phrase "do not be discouraged" stood out to me in a way it hadn't before.  To be DIScouraged, is to have courage taken away from you. To lose your courage. I have known discouragement over this last month. But I keep coming back to this verse and the truth that God tells me to have courage, not because of my circumstances, nor because of my strength, but because of HIS presence. And this verse reminds me that God is with me wherever I go. He has not left me. So I do not have to lose my courage.

L-R: Cute kids, Mayi Tambala, Mayi Harrison, Me, Linds, Dumisani, Mayi Chitani, Mayi Nzeru.


Lindsay Visit & Easter

Onto some brighter topics! We are SO grateful that our dear friend Linds managed to visit us, in what ended up being one of the last weeks of normal travel being available! We had the most wonderful time catching up with her, receiving encouragements (and snacks!) from home, introducing her to new friends, seeing her reconnect with old ones, visiting the lake together (glory!), and witnessing her profound love for 'puffs'.  Lindsay has, for many years now, been someone I can rely on to make me laugh, to make me cry (in the best way), to just get the ups and downs of living in a different culture, to share bowel stories with, and to encourage me in a down-to-earth but also lift-your-gaze-to-Jesus way. We love her and are very grateful we got to spend some easy, fun, encouraging time with her during our time here.

Our Easter here was a delight, despite being a bit up in the air as to what we would be doing, or whether the church would be able to meet. As it was, we met in smaller groups of house churches, and had a wonderful time of joy, in the middle of fear and sadness. And that I guess is a wonderful way to celebrate all that Easter is. When things seemed hopeless, and Jesus was buried in that tomb, He rose from death to life, and brought us eternal life, joy and hope in Him. Also, Scrivin and Annie's dog had just had puppies, which I got to snuggle and play with! So that was an all round excellent Easter gift that I was genuinely thankful for the whole rest of the week. Thank you Jesus for puppies!

That was a long one. Good job for making it to the end!
Lots of love and prayers,
B&B x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace, Grace, Grace - An Extract from Ben's Journal

On 11th October I had my first ugly cry since arriving.   I 'd been warned that it was going to happen at some point, but I'd naively thought that I was doing pretty good and had no need for feeling sad emotions! We've been doing well since moving, I've loved so much about being here, nothing tragic has happened and we've settled in quite comfortably. Yes there have been a few frustrations, but they've just meant that we've had time to rest and learn the new culture. Or so I thought. But I hadn't acknowledged that I'd been internalising a lot of these frustrations, causing me to think of myself as a failure and to get annoyed at the culture. And I'd been feeling guilty about both. I hadn't acknowledged that it's actually been a bit hard. And that's okay! I was also stopping myself from grieving and accepting the pain of leaving, which is a part of the process of moving. Below is an extract from a bit I wrote in my journ

AirBnB, Squiffy Tummies and Rest - Week One in Malawi

Mulibwanji from Malawi! After a year of preparations, selling belongings, and counting down the days, we are finally here. This first week has been a mixed bag; some days I (Bekah) feel like I've totally lucked out to be in such a beautiful country, like this year  will be all bliss and sunshine , and other days it's felt like this might be the longest and hardest year of my life. Let's start at the beginning; the morning of the flight. Enter a Bekah riddled with all her classic physical symptoms of anxiety (pounding heart, fuzzy head, and an awful lot of toilet trips) and an ever-so-faithful God. On toilet trip four of the hour (soz!) I sent a message to some friends and family asking that they pray for me, and within the hour, all the anxiety symptoms were gone, and I spent the rest of the day, and the entirety of the flights feeling the best I have ever felt whilst travelling. I could even stomach the plane food! It was a wonderful way to begin the trip, knowing God

Making Connections, Pensulo and a Funky Rooster - Week Two in Malawi

After a restful first week, this week has picked up the pace a bit! We've had plenty of time to be chatting to Abusa (Pastor) Scrivin about the details of the year, which has been helpful for us to see where the need is and where we can support best within the church. We also visited Noah's Ark orphan care centre, which provides free food/education for 130 kids, with the view of volunteering there for a couple of days to give them some extra support. I'm sure we'll talk more about them in future, but they're doing such a great job loving the local children who are in real need and have real need of support - the preschool has 28 kids, and just one teacher! Unfortunately, Bekah did miss out on going to Noah's Ark as her tummy has continued to feel grjhnnragjdnlll (but has gained appetite back today - yayy!). A positive from her feeling less than okay, is that we discovered that seeing a GP is incredibly simple. Scrivin had given us the number of a doctor he tru