Skip to main content

Why Malawi?

Hello! Welcome to our blog about the time we're spending in Blantyre, Malawi. First off, it'd be good to explain why we're even going in the first place.

Origin Story

I (Ben) have grown up in a family full of missionaries, so I've grown up pretty used to the idea of people living overseas. I even spent the first five years of my life living in Albania. You could say it's in my blood. To be honest, that's what I've thought ever since committing my life to Jesus when I was 18 - I'll probably do something 'like that' someday. I even felt like God confirmed that to me one summer at a Christian camp, that He was calling me to something abroad. The what, when and how I wasn't sure of though.

Visiting Grandma and Grandpa Casebow in Uganda, aged 6

Ever since I've known Bekah she's known God has given her a heart for Africa. Now, a lot of people may say that they have a heart for somewhere, but not many people get so emotional that they weep with joy and compassion whenever they think about that place. This compassion is one of many reasons why I love Bekah so much and asked her to marry me. When we got married, we were both "super excited" (an old Bekah catchprase) about what the combination of these passions could mean for our future.

Mutende Children's Village, Zambia, aged 18

Grace Connection

In our first year of marriage, Grace Church Nottingham (our church) started growing a relationship with Scrivin Kamanga, the pastor of a small church in Malawi. Scrivin visited Grace Church on Vision Sunday (when the church explains what God is calling them to do in the following year) and Scrivin's vision for his church back in Blantyre was incredibly similar to ours. This joint vision lead to the leaders of both churches wanting to develop the relationship further to see how we can support and encourage one another.

Visits

Bekah and I had the opportunity to visit CCC (City Christian Centre) in Blantyre in both 2016 and 2017, for a couple of weeks. We were so blessed and encouraged both times. Seeing the work the church was doing to love and provide for the very poorest in a nearby village (despite being significantly poor themselves) was inspiring. Experiencing their fierce generosity and abundant joy first hand was humbling. Joining in their obedience to pray and seek God with such faith was both uplifting and personally challenging. Basically, we were won over. We loved the friendliness of the people, their love of God and their heart to love those around them.

After the second trip there especially we came away knowing that it wouldn't be the last time that we visited Scrivin and our other brothers and sisters in Malawi. Again though, the when and how was unclear.
Mount Mulanje, Malawi, 2017
Decision Time

In June 2018 Scrivin came to the UK to visit Grace Church again. Having him visit our home, as a friend, and share some of the struggles they were facing as a church, we really felt God speak to us about going and being with them for longer. That same evening, Scrivin was talking with a friend of ours about how much they would love to have someone from the church stay for a longer term, and our ears pricked up!

We spent a lot of time praying about it, and asking advice from our church leaders, and decided that we would go for a year, to be members of their church, to serve alongside them, and to support their growing ministries. We will also be spending some time teaching at an Orphan Care Centre that provides free food and education for children throughout primary and secondary school. We can't wait to share our lives with these people we have the privilege of calling friends, brothers and sisters. We are particularly excited to be involved in their children's work, their social justice ministry, and some administrative bits too. But mostly we are excited to see what God is going to do as we seek Him and trust Him in new ways this year.

God has been so faithful as we made this (pretty scary!) decision. Bekah would freely admit she has always needed to feel in control, and have a plan, and has often felt held back by fear, but as God has been placing this country and this church on our hearts, he’s also been teaching us to follow him even when it’s scary. It is a testimony of God's answer to prayer that we feel so peaceful, and so excited about this next year! There’s still a lot of unknowns (where will we live!), and a lot we are still praying for (the finances to afford to live out there!) but we feel full of faith that God is watching out for us, and will be keeping us safe.

If you pray, please be praying that we find a place to live smoothly...and soon(!), and that we are able to settle into our new home quickly once we arrive. Please also pray  for good sleep on the flight, and for health and protection for the year.

Love, B&B

Comments

  1. Wow, amazing stuff guys. God bless you both! Looking forward to hearing more about what's going on when you get settled in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luke!! Hope you guys are both doing well up north :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

AirBnB, Squiffy Tummies and Rest - Week One in Malawi

Mulibwanji from Malawi! After a year of preparations, selling belongings, and counting down the days, we are finally here. This first week has been a mixed bag; some days I (Bekah) feel like I've totally lucked out to be in such a beautiful country, like this year  will be all bliss and sunshine , and other days it's felt like this might be the longest and hardest year of my life. Let's start at the beginning; the morning of the flight. Enter a Bekah riddled with all her classic physical symptoms of anxiety (pounding heart, fuzzy head, and an awful lot of toilet trips) and an ever-so-faithful God. On toilet trip four of the hour (soz!) I sent a message to some friends and family asking that they pray for me, and within the hour, all the anxiety symptoms were gone, and I spent the rest of the day, and the entirety of the flights feeling the best I have ever felt whilst travelling. I could even stomach the plane food! It was a wonderful way to begin the trip, knowing God

Grace, Grace, Grace - An Extract from Ben's Journal

On 11th October I had my first ugly cry since arriving.   I 'd been warned that it was going to happen at some point, but I'd naively thought that I was doing pretty good and had no need for feeling sad emotions! We've been doing well since moving, I've loved so much about being here, nothing tragic has happened and we've settled in quite comfortably. Yes there have been a few frustrations, but they've just meant that we've had time to rest and learn the new culture. Or so I thought. But I hadn't acknowledged that I'd been internalising a lot of these frustrations, causing me to think of myself as a failure and to get annoyed at the culture. And I'd been feeling guilty about both. I hadn't acknowledged that it's actually been a bit hard. And that's okay! I was also stopping myself from grieving and accepting the pain of leaving, which is a part of the process of moving. Below is an extract from a bit I wrote in my journ