Skip to main content

AirBnB, Squiffy Tummies and Rest - Week One in Malawi

Mulibwanji from Malawi!

After a year of preparations, selling belongings, and counting down the days, we are finally here. This first week has been a mixed bag; some days I (Bekah) feel like I've totally lucked out to be in such a beautiful country, like this year will be all bliss and sunshine, and other days it's felt like this might be the longest and hardest year of my life.

Let's start at the beginning; the morning of the flight. Enter a Bekah riddled with all her classic physical symptoms of anxiety (pounding heart, fuzzy head, and an awful lot of toilet trips) and an ever-so-faithful God. On toilet trip four of the hour (soz!) I sent a message to some friends and family asking that they pray for me, and within the hour, all the anxiety symptoms were gone, and I spent the rest of the day, and the entirety of the flights feeling the best I have ever felt whilst travelling. I could even stomach the plane food! It was a wonderful way to begin the trip, knowing God hears and answers prayers, and that He cares for me.

Nyambadwe, Blantyre - our new neighbourhood
We arrived in Blantyre as the sun was beginning to set, and our friends and church leaders, Scrivin and Annie, along with a new friend, Stephen, greeted us at the airport with many a "Takulandirani" (Welcome). We drove with them to our new home (found on AirBnB of all places, thanks mumma!) and were greeted by more friendly welcomes from our hosts, Alan & Corrie, some basic supplies and treats in the fridge, and a lasagne made for us so we could have a good meal inside us before hitting the hay. This place felt like home immediately, and we are ever so grateful for it.

Bekah meeting Quirky -
who loves sitting
on laps and having snuggles.
Ben meeting Gia -
who likes leaping up behind
 people and startling them.













This week has been exceptionally relaxed compared with the pace of life we were used to in the UK. Scrivin & Annie have been amazing at encouraging us to take time to rest and settle in. Initially this was a bit confusing and we didn't know what to do with the time, but as the reality of packing up home has begun to hit our hearts (and my stomach) we've been glad to have some quiet time to process this change. So we've unpacked, explored our new neighbourhood, ridden the minibus, seen some weird bugs, drunk some Pineapple Fanta (if you know, you know), played games by candlelight when the power went out (a daily occurrence!), made friends with Alan's pets, been to an intercessory prayer service, and yesterday was our first Sunday church service.



Playing South African Monopoly by candlelight in the midst of a power-cut.

It was wonderful! On previous trips I have memories of feeling very hot, very awkward about all the dancing, and very much like a visitor, but it felt, straight away, like we were members of the church. The worship was just as vibrant and dance-y as ever, but I could embrace a new way of worshipping without any inhibitions, and it was also really moving, reflective, and tender. By the end of worship I was weeping because I met with God in a personal way, just as I would've back home in the UK. He really is the God of the Nations! The preach was great, there was an adorable song by the kids, and we were welcomed into the church family formally, bringing our greetings from our churches back in the UK.

So there is a lot we are thankful for! Looking forward to this week we have meetings with Scrivin and Annie about our role/hopes/expectations/dreams for the year, and with the Orphan Care Centre that we will be volunteering with. So hopefully a productive week to come.

As for the harder things you can be praying for, if you pray. My tummy is all over the place! I've been sick once, but the other side is pretty squiffy at least 4 times a day. I've been able to eat regular meals, but it's beginning to wear me down a bit, particularly in the mornings (as this is when it's worst) and I've started having half asleep melodramatic worries about whether I'll be pooping all year, or poop so much I die (only half joking). So please pray for strength in my stomach, and peace in my mind!! Please also pray that we make good headway in learning Chichewa (the local language), and for courage to attempt conversations anyway, even if we look really daft and say something stupid by accident. Also pray for wisdom this week as we begin to plan out what our weeks will look like.

Thanks for reading,

Love, B&B x

Comments

  1. Amazing! Hope you guys have a wonderful year, looking forward to reading all about it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are settled and seem to me feeling more at home! We will continue for health for both of you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to catch up and picture you there, sounds like an ideal first week, and can't wait to see what the day-to-day looks like as it unfolds. Praying for your tummy to settle x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grace, Grace, Grace - An Extract from Ben's Journal

On 11th October I had my first ugly cry since arriving.   I 'd been warned that it was going to happen at some point, but I'd naively thought that I was doing pretty good and had no need for feeling sad emotions! We've been doing well since moving, I've loved so much about being here, nothing tragic has happened and we've settled in quite comfortably. Yes there have been a few frustrations, but they've just meant that we've had time to rest and learn the new culture. Or so I thought. But I hadn't acknowledged that I'd been internalising a lot of these frustrations, causing me to think of myself as a failure and to get annoyed at the culture. And I'd been feeling guilty about both. I hadn't acknowledged that it's actually been a bit hard. And that's okay! I was also stopping myself from grieving and accepting the pain of leaving, which is a part of the process of moving. Below is an extract from a bit I wrote in my journ

Why Malawi?

Hello! Welcome to our blog about the time we're spending in Blantyre, Malawi. First off, it'd be good to explain why we're even going in the first place. Origin Story I (Ben) have grown up in a family full of missionaries, so I've grown up pretty used to the idea of people living overseas. I even spent the first five years of my life living in Albania. You could say it's in my blood. To be honest, that's what I've thought ever since committing my life to Jesus when I was 18 - I'll probably do something ' like that ' someday. I even felt like God confirmed that to me one summer at a Christian camp, that He was calling me to something abroad. The what, when and how I wasn't sure of though. Visiting Grandma and Grandpa Casebow in Uganda, aged 6 Ever since I've known Bekah she's known God has given her a heart for Africa. Now, a lot of people may say that they have a heart for somewhere, but not many people get so emotional tha